North Shore Prosthodontic Associates offers Dental Crowns at our 3 convenient New York locations. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call:
Manhasset, NY office at 516-482-5416
Woodbury, NY office at 516-364-2333
New York, NY office at 516-482-6198
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns – sometimes referred to as caps – are used to cover a damaged tooth to give it additional strength and durability while allowing function to be restored. They are helpful in many different processes, such as:
- A tooth that has had a root canal or large cavity may require a crown to restore its integrity.
- Cracks, chips, and fractures often rely on crowns to protect the tooth.
- Dental implants use dental crowns as their natural-looking tooth alternative.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns are long-lasting and strong, making them the ideal solution for many oral health needs. The fact that they are so versatile likely explains why there are so many benefits.
- Replace large fillings
- Give strength to tooth after a root canal
- Keep a cracked tooth together
- Reshape poorly-shaped teeth
- Improve overall appearance of teeth
Are You a Good Candidate for Crowns?
A good candidate for a crown is someone who:
- Has had a root canal treatment.
- Has a broken, cracked, or fractured tooth.
- Has a large cavity or has lost a large filling.
- Is getting a dental implant.
- Is looking to improve the appearance of a tooth.
Why Choose North Shore Prosthodontic Associates?
Our team is here to meet all your dental needs while providing you a value you won’t find anywhere else. North Shore Prosthodontic Associates is a team of dentists that offer you top-of-the-line treatments. With the use of technology and advanced procedures, restorations – including the use of dental crowns – are very common. The family atmosphere and high level of confidence allow patients to trust that the outcome of their dental crown will be both beautiful and functional.
Does a dental crown look natural?
Yes, of course. Dental crowns can be created from different materials. Some are silver, others are gold. But most match your natural tooth color and blend in perfectly with your other teeth.
How long do dental crowns last?
On average, dental crowns last about 10 to 15 years if cared for. However, those who have exceptional oral hygiene and take care of their crown may find that it can last as long as 25 or 30 years.
Can you eat normally with a dental crown?
It may take some work getting the crown in place, but once it is you should have a fully restored bite force.
Can decay still impact the tooth under the crown?
Yes, decay can still impact the tooth under the crown. Bacteria can find their way in and lead to issues which is why it is vital that you maintain a high level of oral hygiene and proper care for the crown.